Thursday 1 November 2007

Zoecarnate

This might be one of the best websites I've come across in months. It's things like this that make me happy I never got near a formal theological education, because I'm pretty sure that everyone who did would have known about this website in their first week of university. Well, I didn't. And boy, you should see the sheer look of excitement on my face right now!

There's something great about finding something when you've been looking a while. One of our profs over in the social sciences expressed this very well in the opening pages of a great textbook. While his book provides a wonderful framework through which students may fully "appropriate" the discipline, he argues that such a resource is probably best used by finalists. The book assumes that they had already picked up quite a lot of concepts in their previous years and now just needed to learn to see the whole. He'd rather provide lots of disjointed bits of information in the early years rather than start out with an empty framework "to be filled". He finds that imposing a framework on the students' minds at eighteen is a brutal way to teach. He'd rather they reached their third year, their minds brimming with interests and questions, desperate to know more, desperate to understand.

I think I'm unusually fortunate in this respect, because my curiosity on all things "God" is intact and (so far) boundless. I'm just desperate to find out more.

No comments: