Saturday 9 February 2008

The other exiles

Because they lose their babies. Because their teenagers die in car accidents. Because they are caring for dying relatives. Because they face cancer. Because they do not have the life skills for it. Because they do not know how to pray. Because they do not know how to relate to their God their Father. Because all they have is their formless hesitant hope. They are the other exiles. Those whom the church lets down when it does not nurture their faith or praxis.

I know them. I know them very well indeed. And boy do I love the unchurched mainstream! When they tell you of their pain. When they ask you but is it true? Is there a God? When they barely dare to hope. When those who do not have faith fervently hope that those who do are right. They’re lost in the desert too. And when life hurts, their questions inevitably pop up. Does God love my baby? Does God love me?

No comments: