Saturday 21 November 2009

Am I entitled to my culture?

This blogs contains a few posts that celebrate life in the mainstream. I always thought that the mainstream was suffused with beauty and love. For this reason I was loath to entirely dismiss it, and to try to reconstruct a worldview and set of practices that have no place for it. And yet, my life and my thinking have taken me so far from the French mainstream that I find myself longing for it, wasting time on forums which give me access to the normalcy of others, while I feel forever unable to relate.
So, for a while, I read the writings of all the other outsiders, Albert Camus or Simone Weil, but at other times I wish I could just unreflexively be a West European. It's a balancing game, being who you are while being who you are called to be. Can we love where we're from?

No comments: