Sunday 27 February 2011

Art & Faith Top 100 movies

It's hard not to be excited about this wonderful list of films because I promise you, it's not all Ben Hur and the Ten Commandments.

I am thrilled thrilled thrilled that the Dardenne brothers are making the top ten with The Son and make another appearance with The Child. And Yay for Wim Wenders' Paris Texas. Crowd pleaser Babette's Feast is fully expected here but always nice.

In my not-so-humble opinion, the list misses out on Moodysson's unbearably raw Lilja Forever and Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi's very honest It's easier for a camel (I really love that film!). And maybe Nadie hablara de nosotras. And where has The Hawks and the Sparrows disappeared to? And The Little World of Don Camillo for crying out loud... As far as mainstream movies go I suppose I could live with The Mission and the spookily catholic Brideshead Revisited.

So in short:

Anything Dardenne or (early) Moodysson: unmissable.
Anything Wim Wenders: should be very watchable.
The Art & Faith's Top 100: not bad at all!
But obvioulsy I suggest they start reading my blog more...

1 comment:

Aleksei Zubtsov said...

Yes, early Moodysson is great.