Thursday 10 January 2008

Pleading with Pharaoh

The argument that Christians should not vote really gets on my nerves. I agree that voting does not change much, and I also agree that voting is definitely not the only type of politics that Christians should engage in -prefigurative politics has a lot more potential. It would be great if God did break in and we pray for that all the time. But while God doesn’t seem to break in -in the way we expect-, is it really that bad to plead with pharaoh? How the hell are the two notions antithetical?

I spend my days trying to establish what the hidden agendas are, to make sure we are talking to the hidden agendas, and not debating away at issues that are irrelevant. For instance, there is no way we can significantly enhance the European welfare states and international development if -economically- we buy fully into the Washington Consensus. So democratic debates about improving quality of life at home and abroad are bound to be primarily placative devices designed to wear out the opposition.

Why would it be unfaithful for a Jewish slave (or even for an Egyptian technocrat) to rack their brains in order to come up with some new ideas that would appeal to folks in power? I suppose someone could object that I have no faith in God doing stuff, or in Christians being reformed. That I'm a pagan placing my trust in the system. But I just don’t think that inbreaking will necessarily be thunderous.
And yes, I do damage control. I convince my friends who work in the fashion industry to look out for working conditions. I don’t even have to do a lot of convincing at all, the passion is there already. Our generation has these concerns already. Someone please start having faith in mainstream people, mainstream Christians. The inbreaking of God in their lives.

What I think is really needed is for someone to line out how things could be done differently. Call it "best practice" if you will. Call it incrementalism. People are ready for it, but they need to be shown how it’s done. And meanwhile, please do vote for the least of two evils. Please vote for the person you think will do the least damage. That might just save a few thousands lives in Iraq. But do you even care for these tangible lives? Or do you care more for your own pretty argument: “I’m really an expat, I’m a citizen of Heaven, I want Jesus to be my president”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't vote (and I also don't talk about Jesus being my president).

Up yours, you realpoliticking pagan bastard!