Saturday 23 August 2008

Waking up before dawn

In the north of England, during the summer you hate dawn. It wakes you up crazy bright at 4am unless you have very good quality curtains. If you wake up before dawn, suddenly it feels like winter, or at least like then end of summer. There is this slight period of readjustment: hang on, it's dark, but it's summer right? Okay, maybe the end of summer. Those 2-3 weeks which reek of back to school.
That's the time of year I'd spend at my grandparents, usually after a whole month and a half of getting sunburnt on the beach. We'd make pancakes and blackberry jam. That's the time of year they'd catch up with my life, find out about my love life and later share my excitement when I was off to University for the first time. My mum always tried to stay as long as possible. Sometimes there was barely a day of turnover before we were back at school. I miss them like mad.

No comments: