Monday 28 November 2011

What happened to the wedding dress?

Well, I am on my way towards donating the cost of a real wedding dress to a charity that digs wells in Tanzania.

Meanwhile, I caught up with my old Arts teacher. She had been clinically depressed for years but her teannaged pupils called her out. They knew she had run a theatre club in the past and they wanted a theatre group too so they kept asking until she gave in and ran it once gain. This year they will be playing some Moliere. That's as fabulous a future as I could dream for my wedding dress, so there happily it goes, along with a couple of over-the-top formal dresses I bought in England.

At the same time, I was visiting someone at the nursing home, where my three months old baby was the star of the show among residents and staff alike and was getting lots of cuddles. One afternoon, some sinapses connected in my busybody brain and I called my arts teacher once more. Any way she could bring her theatre club to play Moliere at the nursing home too?

I know that in the grand scheme of things, these are tiny little gestures. I call them "cosmetic gestures". They take no effort and they don't change the world. Compared to some of the other things we might be trying to be as Christians, these are easy, fun and almost relaxing.

They remind me of the wisdom of the guy who was leading the marriage preparation weekend we went to. He said "Sure, you go set up charities and go change the world, but in the meantime remember that nobody can love YOUR family and YOUR friends better than YOU can".

No comments: