Tuesday 4 September 2007

Film Review 7: My Life Without Me (2003) directed by Isabel Coixet

There are two sorts of people. Those who love Spanish cinema and those who don’t (yet) know anything about Spanish cinema beyond the latest Almodovar. For one, earlier Almodovar is much better. And then it’s worth noting that some folks who have been influenced by Pedro Almodovar have made some stunning movies of their own and surpassed the master in many ways. My Life Without Me by Isabel Coixet is one such movie. Since it is set and filmed in Vancouver and starrs Sarah Polley in the lead role, I expect that some readers may well have seen this film before I did. So maybe I’ll stick to reviewing obscure European movies from Scandinavia, or Pasolini’s The Hawks and the Sparrows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay, vancouver.

- robin