Wednesday 12 September 2007

Today's (absence of) cheesy midi file

(The cyberhymnal midi file really is horrible, do give it a miss! Anyway, this one is a classic so I expect that you all know the tune)

Lord, I hear of showers of blessing,
Thou art scattering full and free;
Showers the thirsty land refreshing;
Let some drops now fall on me;
Even me, even me,
Let some drops now fall on me.

Pass me not, O God, my Father,
Sinful though my heart may be;
Thou mightst leave me, but the rather;
Let Thy mercy light on me;
Even me, even me,
Let Thy mercy light on me.

Pass me not, O gracious Savior,
Let me live and cling to Thee;
I am longing for Thy favor;
Whilst Thou’rt calling, O call me;
Even me, even me,
Whilst Thou’rt calling, O call me.

Pass me not, O mighty Spirit!
Thou canst make the blind to see;
Witnesser of Jesus’ merit,
Speak the Word of power to me;
Even me, even me,
Speak the Word of power to me.

Have I been in sin long sleeping,
Long been slighting, grieving Thee?
Has the world my heart been keeping?
O forgive and rescue me;
Even me, even me,
O forgive and rescue me.

Love of God, so pure and changeless,
Blood of Christ, so rich and free;
Grace of God, so strong and boundless
Magnify them all in me;
Even me, even me,
Magnify them all in me.

Pass me not; but pardon bringing,
Bind my heart, O Lord, to Thee;
Whilst the streams of life are springing,
Blessing others, O bless me;
Even me, even me,
Blessing others, O bless me.

Words: Elizabeth H. Codner
Music: William B. Bradbury

1 comment:

robert said...

Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Thanks for posting Elizabeth Codner's beautiful hymn. It's not as well known as it should be. Your post caught my eye because I posted an article on it myself, yesterday.

I have a couple of complaints though. First, what you call the "Cyber Hymnal" isn't. Fifteen years ago I started working with Dick Adams, the creator of the Cyber Hymnal, gathering information for his site. It grew to include thousands of hymns. Then, one day, another person simply came along and helped himself to all the data, without any authorization.

His pirated version is what you have linked to. You can tell the difference immediately, since the true Cyber Hymnal has no advertising. Here's Even Me as an example:

http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/e/v/e/evenme.htm

Dick was able to copyright the name, "Cyber Hymnal," but he was forced to create a new URL. I do encourage you to link to the original.

Second, you describe the MIDI file as "cheesy" and "horrible," and I do think that's a little unfair. Dick's purpose is to enable those who don't know the tune to learn it, not render a virtuoso performance.

Actually, it's amazing what has happened. Letters have been received from behind prison walls, and from oppressive countries where Christian gatherings are forbidden. People have gathered around a computer and sung God's praises to the accompaniment Dick Adams has provided. "Horrible" as it is, God has blessed it.

Thanks for your patience in considering these few remarks. God bless.