Monday 10 March 2008

What's wrong with being bored?

There's a line in Camus in which one of his characters says that he doesn't like people who join the revolution because they are bored. This is echoed by quite a few committed radicals who love to criticise the "disillusioned bourgeois kids". Get your stones ready because I'm one of them. I'm one to say that the mainstream, upper middle class lifestyle is BORING and soul-deadening, and I actually think that there is a lot of value in this realisation, where else are we supposed to start? The trick is that you've got to find something that you value more.
I see where everyone is going though... what about solidarity? What about caring for others? Maybe I've got an underdevelopped notion of sacrifice, but hang on a sec: caring for each other is pleasurable, very much so... if we lose this we're fried.

No comments: