Friday 11 July 2008

Class, academia and self-defeat

Yesterday I walked up to the pub after a supervision with my thesis advisers. H. was already there and I started telling them how the supervision went: "Boy, I've got a method now", I said. "I go to the coffee room to take a peak at my professors. That usually freaks me out big time. I then proceed to go to the toilet to throw up all my coffee and cry for fourty minutes. I dry my eyes, brush my teeth and go to my supervision. Poise and confidence, they call it."
One of our mates down at the pub worked in a factory since he was fourteen, until he decided that he wanted to go to university and get a degree. So he did a foundation course and then got admitted into the first year. One beer, two beers... and it turns out that he did not take his exams in June. Even though he is extremely clever and got good marks in the essays, he failed to show up. He freaked out and got drunk the nights before.
I ask H. to get our friend to re-take his exams in August, because if he doesn't the university will kick him out. "You got that out of him" H. says. "We see him every day and he never told us that he failed to show up for them."

No comments: