Thursday 24 July 2008

insider/ outsider

H. and I were debating for the sake of it. He was arguing for the insider side (social change is only ever achieved by insiders of states and corporations, so-called “outsiders” are merely playing with themselves) and I was arguing for the outsider side (insiders achieve nothing; we’re wasting our lives by trying to fit in with them, step out and create some discipleship and solidarity on the ground). The debate was getting heated and then one question popped into my mind: so okay… in our respective views, was Christ an insider or an outsider?

Believe it or not, it shut the both of us up. We struggled for minutes to argue for one way or the other. I was still leaning towards “outsider”. H. was still leaning towards “insider”. But we both seemed to think that the dichotomy had become irrelevant. I found it fascinating.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you or H. can convince me that Jesus -- the real historical person of Jesus -- was anything close to an insider, I will mail you one book of your choice (under $100, shipping not included).

Anonymous said...

Um, that is to say, I'll pay for the shipping, but I won't deduct it from the cost of the book.

Dany said...

We're up for the challenge, ya bet! Just give us a bit of time to pull that little trick together.

How are you doing anyway? I'd been logging on to your blog three times a day when you were talking about posting your second part to the academy on the poor, but maybe I shouldn't hold my breath after all.

I think I owe you an e-mail with some more Durham gossip. Say hello to Mel, Fiona and Jody for me.

Dany

Anonymous said...

Sweetness! I look forward to what you've got to say.

As for the Second Part of my response on the Academy and the Poor, I do have a draft saved on my blog, but I'm not totally satisfied with it, so I'll be tweaking it over the next few days, and then (hopefully) going public with it.

And, yes, it would be good to do a bit of emailing.