Tuesday 25 November 2008

Parents of angels

“For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.”
This is my third post about Sandra’s blog and I’m still not linking. I think I’m afraid of being traced back by her. By comparison, my own blog seems like a collection of irrelevant musings, and the last thing she needs is someone pontifying from a “Christian” perspective. I don’t think there is anything that Christians can say to a mother they don’t personally know whose 28-month old son died before her eyes. I would find it indecent to draw her attention to this place, even indirectly.

But increasingly, I realise that her blog involves 100 times more pistis than mine does. A couple of days ago, she wrote: “it’s so long; it’s so hard to have to wait to see you, to tell myself that I have to wait out my whole entire life for the hope of, one day, just hold you in my arms again”. In French culture (and surely in other Western cultures as well), parents whose children have died refer to themselves as parents of angels. Their children might have become angels, but the adults left on Earth are still their parents and the relationship remains, in which the kids still love their parents, care for them and even need their love, to an extent.

I really, really love the orthodox understanding that the Church is all the living and all the dead, together assembled before God, at any time. And I believe that there is not better example of this than the inter-status love displayed by Sandra. She and her son are one of the most visible manifestations of the Church eternal.

No comments: