Saturday 22 December 2007

More Skype weirdness...

D. Hey Olivia, how are you? We haven’t spoken in ages!

O. Hi Dany! I'm in Kigali. I’ve been living and working in Rwanda for the past five months.

D. Woa! How's that going?

O. Okay, but to be honest I'm struggling, I don’t really like it.

D. Why?

O. I can’t get through to Rwandans at all. They all see me as a rich white girl, they ask for money all the time. Then they shut me out.

D. Wait, my best friend is from Rwanda, he had to flee to Germany in 1994 and stayed with a family there. You can probably hang out with his friends and family. Can I give him your number?

O. That would be great, I would really love that. I've been here for months. I haven't met anyone from Rwanda except superficially. I hang out with German colleagues all the time, it's really weird.

No comments: