Thursday 31 May 2007

Film review 5: Marie Antoinette (2006) directed by Sophia Coppola

The ultimate party-girl: fun and loveable, worried about a lot of day-to-day things and trying to re-create an island of bliss for her friends. She’s not entirely oblivious to the world but she’s busy trying to hold her ground and be happy.

She reminds me of so much in mainstream western life: honestly, we can’t spend our lives trying to debunk capitalism or thinking about who produced our sneakers, that'll just drive us nuts. On some days, I'm scared by the grimness of having to painstakingly document disastrous working conditions (did you know that it was Franz Kafka’s day job for a while?) and I'm scared of the emotional toll. I don’t even want to inhabit that world; I want nothing to do with it actually, why should I even seek it out? Do I even have to be aware at all? Let’s have champagne in the park instead!

No comments: