Saturday 25 August 2007

Please, not another book!

School(s) for Conversion is teaching me nothing. I’m going donate these to my church’s library, or even to the Christian Union of my campus. Maybe someone else will be grateful to know that they are not alone.

I quickly read though the things I already knew, the things I already thought (at this point, reading another Claiborne-type book feels like an insurmountable ordeal). And where the fuck are they? I keep wondering.

And then… the scary thing…

They’re the burnt-out clergyman whom I keep “challenging”. They’re the lapsed catholic white guy who can’t handle his South African heritage and whose cynicism I find more touching than many Christians’ sense of peace. They’re the rich theology professor at my university whose eyes never smile on a photograph. They’re the seventy-year old Quaker who’s desperate for us to read the gospel together instead of sitting around. The “radical Christians” are under there and I can sense their passion, it’s obvious.

Oh shit. I haven’t got a clue how to access that.

No comments: