Friday 11 April 2008

Conversion, Incrementalism and Confirmation

Right this minute, I’m writing from a room full of irreflexive, very privileged, privately educated 19 years old. I think they’re sweet. Are they horribly selfish? Should someone use violence against them in an effort to bring the realities of the world closer to where they are?

If some of these students are Christians, I’ve no idea how to make committed, compassionate "radicals" out of them. I’m not even 100% sure whether it’s needed. I can’t decide whether I’m in favour of radical conversions or of meaningful incrementalism.

My partner thinks that conversion is a process, with some important moments in that process, but a process nevertheless. I tend to think that conversion is a one-off plunge which you take or do not take (and I don't think I have).
To be precise, in theory I’m in favour of "one-off" conversions, but in practice I expect no more than (significant) incrementalism from my friends and from my young students.

If this were to tie into ecclesiology, then I think that Christians get confirmed way too soon, and without being overly reflexive. In my opinion, confirmation should be undergone much later -I’d say 25 or above-.
That or we would need a further milestone, sometime around 30, whenever people have started having jobs, mortgages, and adult responsibilities in general. As a kind of comprehensive general life overhaul, I think it would be helpful.

4 comments:

stukley said...

Now that Confirmation is no longer regarded as a key, gospel-based Sacrament (even in the Roman Church in the "sense of the faithful", if not as doctrine), why can't we acknowledge it's just signing on the dotted line...joining the organized Church...not, necessarily the Body of Christ. And certainly it should be done when reason and responsibility have pretty fully developed. 18-20 yrs. old? I lean more toward your "incremental conversion" as universally dependable from a spiritual sense.
So I believe the KEY Christian Outward Sign, Baptism, could be anytime..but preferably after a period of instruction, reflection and after say, 14. Were we to feel that instant conversion, with or without an Epiphany; with just an oath or a pledge, was valid for Baptism then, certainly Fundamentalist Christians have to
be correct...that "non-infant" Baptism is the only way. The Eucharist? Anytime after 6 or so...no Baptism or Confirmation necssary. My opinion: denying Eucharist to un-Baptized doesnt make any sense. Can anyone show me why one has anything to do with the other?

Dany said...

I'm no theologian and so I haven't yet fully reflected on these things. Adult baptism sounds very good, and I would agree with you that it would need to be after a significant period of instruction, so we'd have pretty full-on Chritians, instead of the watered down ones we've got.

As for communion, I think that solidarity with the body of Chirst in the Eucharist needs to be matched by very tangible solidarity with the body of Christ in His brothers and sisters. If you are knowingly letting someone suffer while you could have intervened, you are failing to "discern the Body" and that's a BIG deal, IMO.

stukley said...

Yes, I understand and agree that the Body of Christ, in the form of the Communion of the Faithful, has been and is the intended recipient of the Sacrament. But, the Social Gospel, the true empathy for ALL mankind manifest in your last sentence, indicates to me that maybe you wouldn't withold Christ's Grace through the Eucharist...to ANYONE who could gain in this life or beyond...whether or not they had ever even heard of Jesus Christ. I dunno,maybe I'm trying hard to find a smattering of my own thinking in what you say...I certainly do appreciate the way you challenge me to think, Thanks

Dany said...

Well, I did not come up with that stuff on my own, I nicked much of it from Dan, including the reference to a book called Torture and Eucharist by Will T. Cavanaugh. Very highly recommended if you like being challenged, so far everyone I'd recommended it to absolutely loved it.