Sunday 20 April 2008

Positive

" Now I know that the old 'self esteem building' has been beat into the ground, but I still want you to stop and think about how this can apply to our adopted kids in particular, but all of our kids and even others around us. Most of us adoptive parents have children that have experienced the absolute worst side of humanity. They basically started life with no value at all. They were inconvenient, instead of cherished. They were pushed aside instead of cuddled. They were left to fend for themselves instead of protected. What type of core image does that establish?
Think also of the early environments our kids had. We learn with all of our senses....what we see, hear, taste, touch, smell and do. My kids have seen lots of violence. I know one of my sib groups witnessed their birth father try to kill their birthmother. I know they witnessed many men pass through their front doors. They've seen police come to their homes. They've heard lots of loud angry voices. They heard their sibs and others,sometimes themselves, scream as they were beat. They've tasted emptiness. They've had to dig through garbage to find food and try to eat uncooked noodles.They've felt belts, boards, and sticks ripping open their flesh. They've felt the pain of unattended wounds that became infected. They've felt cold and they've felt insects crawling over them as they tried to sleep. They've smelled drugs burning in the room next door. They've smelled feces and urine from unchanged diapers. They've smelled rotting garbage in their houses. And the things they've had to do.......lie, steal, manipulate, and other things that I won't mention here as I want to keep this at least PG rated. That's an awful lot to overcome. [...]
So, what does this mean to us as parents? It means that we need to be constantly vigilant about what input our kids are receiving and making sure that the positive, positive, positive, positive is what our kids are bombarded with. Positive, uplifting, encouraging tv, music, books, videos, computer programs, and friends that will build up the values and morals that you want you children to absorb should be the norm rather than the exception. And the input that they get from us needs to be concentrated on the good. Cheerleading 101 might be a great course for all of us adoptive parents. Our kids need us to stay positive. [...]
Often, when we gather for dinner, I will pose a question to my kids and they'll all take turns answering it. A few weeks ago I asked them to tell me something nice that someone had said to them recently. Not a one of them could come up with an answer. So I switched it up and asked them to tell me something hurtful or not nice that someone had said to them......they all had huge lists! It was very eye opening for both me and them to realize how much they had all been dwelling on the negative. And this is after I'd just shared with them very nice comments that I had heard from adults two days before. I've heard it said that for every negative thing that a person hears, they need to hear eight positives to compensate for the impact the one negative has had. I'm starting to think it might take 100 positives for every negative. "

2 comments:

stukley said...

So True! We seem to be genetically hard-wired for SELF DEFENCE,... we're unaware that we are really always on the alert for danger! We can't afford to be distracted by the positive. That's why, unfortunately, negative political campaigns are much more effective than positive. People remember and trust the validity of negative political ads. They ignore the positive as self serving hyperbole,.. and probably untrue. They RESPOND to outrage/not to good news. Good news is no news. . We are in real trouble because a huge % of voters know little apart from political TV and internet pass-arounds. And they VOTE and ELECT on the basis of this negative information...much of it false or distorted, or, at best, simply irrelevant. This has become a real concern in US. Not sure about the rest of planet.

Dany said...

"Good news is no news..." I fully agree! A song I always have in mind and sing around the house quite a lot is "love lives on my street" by Faithless:

A mans life got took away in the city today, they say
But never tell how many's been born
Inform us of a top notch surgeon's mistake
But not the many lives he's saved before
Show us starving kids through expensive lenses
On a far and distant shore
Of which, when sold, could feed a good few
Hey mister rich - Why don't you help the poor

Bad news, sad news, never no good news
S'all they print and beam
Make a child believe that there ain't no love
Well hey, love lives on my street.

Love is you, love is me, love is us, love is free
Zip up your front all ya want
But there's a heart in every seed
Love is you, love is me, love is us, love is free
Zip up your front all ya want
But there's a heart in every seed

Back up from the crap and the desert of dying sons
Me I'm trying to come to terms and learn as one
Way to display the way I'm feeling, I need healing
From the floor to the ceiling,
But I'm not gonna sit n' die while time ticks by
I gotta get up, stand up, before I break up into pieces
Iron out the creases,
Find out what peace is.

Love is you, love is me... (2x)

The only reason I don't endorse it all too much, is because it's way too easy to forget the evil that we (passively) do by congratulating ourselves on the good. The eternal debate between "God through the world" or "God despite the world".