Friday 15 June 2007

Book review 3: Beware of Pity by Stephan Zweig

Once again, this book is not my favorite by Zweig. Confusion has to be one of the most stunning books I’ve ever read. Still, Beware of Pity is gripping to say the least.

The story is about a young man who starts out “feeling bad” about a crippled young woman. This book taught me that there were very high risks when approaching the vulnerability of others. One reviewer on Amazon.co.uk cites this haunting passage: 'the outcasts, the branded, the ugly, the withered, the despised and rejected love with a fanatical, a baleful, a black love.'

Of course, they only start out like that. So do you fancy taking the very real love of our Lord into these dark waters? I do too. But be as wise as serpents, dear readers, and maybe read some Nouwen first. You will encounter the black love. Can you handle it? I think that the aim is to channel this black love towards God, who can handle it beautifully, as yours truly found out.

I actually think that the rawness described in this passage is beautiful. These kids are so very close to the Kingdom if they made it here, and they're certainly not indifferent. I fall head over heels for keen Zaccheuses hidding in the trees, I'm just not very skilled around them, and I know that. Finding oneself the object of that monster love is a tough spot to be in. Maybe I'll share my tricks on how to get out of it some day.

(The Amazon reviews are tolerable on the US site. They’re better on the UK site, but the second one gives away a bit of the plot)

No comments: