Friday 20 July 2007

Christocentricity

Among Quaker Meetings some are more "Christocentric" than others. Edinburgh Central Meeting seemed fairly Old School. By contrast the Durham Meeting is very seeker friendly and has lots of non-Christocentric worshippers revelling in the Lord's presence. It's never really been a problem: I believe that we all experience the same God, and it doesn't really matter which names we attach to Him, or whether we call this "God" at all. The reality is the same.

I must be the world's most relaxed Christian when I'm around people who profess atheism or some other form of religion/philosophy as I'm forever devoted to the Love that lives in them. I get asked lots of questions, mostly by lapsed Christians who are really struggling (and boy, do I like them! Much more than many who don't hesitate to "claim the name"). I'm often tempted to quote Blaise Pascal: "you would not look for me if you hadn't already found me". But since that sounds a bit heavy, a paraphrase is probably better.

The quote of the day is by Maxi Jazz, the vocalist of Faithless, a Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist:

Quiet, still, you feel there's nothing going on
Until you realize the space behind your eyes
Is filling up with something like peace
As your thoughts cease and
Pleasure grows in your soul.
I ain't a Christian, sometimes
I feel like dissing em, but listen
I'm just trying to tell ya what I know
If you would once relax, chill to the max
These words on wax will cause sweet bells
To ring in your soul.
If I say God is alive I know you wanna know why
Babies die, food don't grow, why trains smash, planes crash
Situation mash and slam bam your fellow man
Money's in fashion, huh, it ain't rational,
Because damn it, he didn't just give us the planet
And its wealth, deep inside your soul he left a piece of himself
The lord is in here. His voice is small.


From the album "Reverence".

No comments: