Saturday 7 July 2007

Should I read books?

This may seem like an odd question, but it is a real one. I’m scared of books that resemble my own thought-process too much. This one in particular could kill off my reflection by having it all laid out. The book looks very good; I would no doubt enjoy it. Still, it’s the same sense of uneasiness I mentioned in a recent post. I’m not prepared to trade my fresh croissants for defrost, microwaved ones. Quakers listen to their Shepherd’s voice, Friend, and that’s what Quakers do!

Not all readings fall in that category though. There are some books (and internet resources) that I want to read to pick up a new conceptual toolkit, or to "know that I am not alone" doing this stuff. Maybe I'll still get it, pick up some ideas and then move on. Is it just me or is anyone else concerned about crowding out their prayer lifeline with books?

No comments: