Friday 6 July 2007

Coffee number seven: "What are you talking about?"

D. The state, Sina, the state! I don't want to give up the state. Collective achievements, Scandinavian social democracy, the "European Dream". We all pay taxes towards the welfare of our fellow citizens, surely if we take part in this we're not wicked, collectively, I mean.

S. But that's not Christianity. You know, Christianity is this (he grabs his shirt): you take only the T-shirt and jeans you're wearing right now, and you start trusting in God. That's Jesus. What you're talking about, well... I don't know what you're talking about, he says with his charateristic wicked smile.

Sina is a practicing muslim who could barely hide his disappointment when his Irish girlfriend and I chose "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" over "Luther" as our movie of the night. Ah, shallow girls! He proceeded to make some Lebanese peppermint tea (with pine nuts) for said shallow girls and to serve it himself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey,

i want some of that tea - it sounds delicious.

mmm, pine nuts.

have missed reading your blog for a bit, just got caught up.

have a great fin-de-semaine.

- robin

Dany said...

It WAS delicious! I don't know what I like more, Sina's smile, Sina's way of beeing or the delicious food which he regularly lays up for us.

Sina and I are often to be found trading tabouleh for chocolate cake as we both can't keep our interest off each other's cooking.

I'm thinking I should e-mail you, I need your address to send you a card and maybe some bits pieces from Italy.