Monday 9 July 2007

Tread lightly on the land

I'm not sure whether to fly or take the coach/train home for my friend’s wedding. I don’t know what to choose between:

1. Being decidedly part of the crowd that will continue to fly (and so we need to find a global solution, and let’s be realistic: that solution is not individual morality). People fly and will keep flying. I’m not interested in being better than the rest of my society; I’m interested in solutions that can include us all.

2. Being the green countercultural one that will not fly short distances. Because even though I’m not convinced, I tend to like the people who take that stand, so maybe they’re on to something. There is definite emphasis of changing one’s own ways in the New Testament. And I am definitely expected to be better than the rest of my society.

I got into studying politics because I always believed in intelligent global solutions. When I think of it, I don't think I'm prepared to rely on individuals choosing to do the right thing because it won’t happen and I don’t want the project to fail. Good old Roman sense, I guess.

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? Monty Pythons, The Life of Brian.

No comments: